Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Coffee anyone?

I'm having my weekly coffee dosage ( I only drink coffee when necessary). As I pour the Indonesian coffee that my mother brought from Indonesia, I thought to my self " why am I pouring it into a cafetiere?". Its a finely grounded coffee more refined than the ones you found in UK. However its not an instant type of coffee like nescafe, it will leave residue. You can actually put straight in the cup pour water, wait a minute , and drink it without any of the grounds stuck on your teeth.

I learned that coffee here is different than the one in Indonesia (never used to like them), because the coffee they have here is not as strong as the ones in Indonesia that actually gives you headache. Even though it said on the package Java Coffee or Sumatra Coffee.

The very usual coffee brand in Indonesia is KOPI KAPAL API, its very black and strong. You can always find coffee in small "Warungs" everywhere. It is serve on a big clear mug or small glass put on top of a saucer. Some people have it black and some put condense milk in . Of course we have nescafe, but those are usually to drink cold. We also have starbucks, coffee bean around in malls and the favourite drinks would be the frappucino. We even have coffee candy.

Anyway, the things that I learned here is when I went to an English house they have this Cafetiere (My American friends called it French Press). I've seen them before but have not used them. When I asked them do you have instant coffee they say " instant coffee is more of working class type of coffee, they don't really experience drinking coffee". I thought to myself " well ok, but instant coffee is quicker to make, and less washing up".

By the sound of the name I assumed they get it from the French, English people even though they wont admit it loves French things. There is a notion of being posh if you are well acquainted to French things. I never thought of cafetiere more but got used to using it, because ground coffee is nicer than instant.

One day we had a team meeting in my house, one of my team member came straight from Paris just a couple months before. She wanted coffee, so I gave her the coffee in a cafetiere and a cup. Surprisingly she didn't actually push the filter down, she just poured it out. I thought stupidly " well this must be how they use in France". But I was still curious, the next time it happens I asked her is this how they do it in France, she said " I've never used this things my entire life so I don't know how to"then I said " I thought this thing is French"then she said " I don't know any French who use this thing, maybe its Italian".

??????????

Today I thought about it and looked in Wikipedia and it said it is French.
And.. its bad to drink coffee from it... AAAAH!!! I just finished mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home